Follow these basic bicycling guidelines for a safe ride:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Always make sure others can see you. Wear bright clothing during the daytime and use a light, reflectors and reflective clothing when it’s dark.
- Keep your bike properly maintained and inspect your bike regularly.
- Carry a basic safety tool kit, including tire patch materials, tire pump and first aid items.
- Ride defensively.
- Obey traffic laws: stop at stop signs and red lights. Use proper hand signals when turning.
- Ride with the traffic flow. Always ride to the right unless you are passing another vehicle or turning left.
- Do not ride on sidewalks.
- Walk your bike when crossing the street.
- Keep a safe distance from parked cars and watch for car doors that may open. Do not weave between parked cars.
- When raining, the road is slick, so allow extra time to stop.
- Be alert for road hazards.
For additional Bicycling Safety information, visit Street Smarts.